Pages

Sunday, April 2, 2017

6 Great Children's Book Characters

I love reading and have since I was a child. Thinking back to years ago certain literary characters and books pop into my head when I think about reading. Often they are books that many other people have read and know. Heck they are books that parents read as children and are now reading to their children!

Because it is national Children's Book day and because I love names I am coming to you with a list of character names that will bring back childhood memories. 


Junie
The first book, well more like series, I thought about when coming up with this blog post was Junie B. Jones by Barbara Parks. I grew up reading these books and collecting them. A little naming trivia for you: the first line of the very first book in the series is "My name is Junie B. Jones. The B stands for Beatrice. Except I don’t like Beatrice. I just like B and that’s all." All of the heart eyes!!! June can be a nickname for a long list of Jun- names like Juniper, Junia, June, and Juno. 



Amelia
Amelia Bedelia was always a long time favorite of mine. Her name is so fun to say and her books were and are always entertaining. Throughout the series Amelia has multiple jobs and always misunderstands the commands her employers give her causing her to mess up the tasks. As a name Amelia has been fast rising. Its #12 in the US and is even more popular in Britain at #1. 



Charlotte 
Charlotte's Web is one of the classics that I still see kids reading today. The heartfelt story about an adorable big being saved from the slender house by a spider is just to love. Much to my surprise the book was written in the 1950s! Charlotte made its way into the top 10 in 2014 and moved up to #9 the following. It is the name of British royalty and I think the birth of the princess had something to do with the bump up. 




Charlie
The first chapter book I every read and finished myself was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and will always hold a special place in my heart. The book is still in my room with pages marked and very loved. The story is about a group of children who get the opportunity to tour a chocolate factory if they found a golden ticket. Charlie is a nickname for Charles and even Charleston. It is a name slowly making its way over to the girls list.








Stuart 
There are so many memories in this blog post! Stuart Little is a book I read as a class when I was in third grade. I even had a little paper mouse that looked like Stuart that I used while we read the book. Stuart is definitely an old man chic name. I really don't hear about it very often so I don't think it has caught on. I would love to know if you know a little Stuart. 



Harold 
Harold and the Purple Crayon is a book I see on just about every classroom bookshelf. I never grew up reading this book but I know it is something children read now. A little boy has a purple crayon that lets him create a world of his own. Like Stuart, Harold is an old man chic name. The adorable nickname and more popular name Harry works great with this name. To my surprise the name is ranked at #810 in 2015. Maybe it will rise in popularity. 

There are so many characters I could list and talk about here with you guys! Because I didn't want to bore you I stopped at just 6 characters.  What are your favorite names from children's books?

 photo small blog signature_zpsmlvv5oyk.png


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...