Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Feature Friday: Orlaith


Hey Guys! Guess what time it is?!?! Feature Friday Time!!! This week is a girl all the way from Ireland. Her name is Orlaith. I had so much fun doing this interview just like the rest I have done. Her formspring is http://www.formspring.me/orlaithsnames and her listography is http://listography.com/5536125336. So let’s get started with the interview.


Me: How did you get into baby names?
Orlaith: I remember being really little and just wanting to name EVERYTHING. Every teddy bear I owned had a name, then as I got older I started naming my phones, iPods, anything I could think of really! I also read a lot as a kid so I was always discovering new names and asking my parents how to pronounce them and what they meant. I suppose it was about 2 years ago when I really got into baby names though. Once I found AnastasiaRuby on YouTube, I realised that there were other people like me who loved baby names, but who did it as a hobby. So I bought my first baby name book and I've been hooked since. (:

Me: I love how you named everything :). How old were you when you first started liking baby names?
Orlaith: Haha, I still do! I think I've always been very interested in names, but I'd say I was about 8 when I started asking my parents about names from books, and how they chose my name, things like that, then I made my first favourites list when I was 12.

Me: haha ;P What are your current favorite baby names?
Orlaith: I change my mind everyday, I'm awful! But right now, I really love the combo Stella Theodora and the names Pearl, Elsa, Reid, and Cole.

Me: I'm the same way. I love your names! If you remember, what were your first favorite baby names?
Orlaith: I remember in school when I was 12 we had to write about what we wanted our futures to be like and I wanted four children called Levi, Mackenzie, Harlow and Max. Definitely different to my taste now, but I actually don't hate any of them. I also remember in one of my favourite books as a kid there were two characters called Xanthe and Allegra and I LOVED their names!

Me: I love the sibset. Why did you decide to make list and join formspring?
Orlaith: Well I've always loved talking to other people about their favourite names, and how they got their own names, but none of my friends are as interested in baby names as I am. Once I realised that there was a whole baby naming community online I knew I had to be a part of it! It's been amazing to hear about baby names from people who live all over the world!

Me: I love that. I still can't believe that I talk to people who in i a whole another country than me! What has been the most fun about list and formspring?
Orlaith: It probably sounds so cheesy, but I love feeling like I'm a part of something great. I love how even though none of us baby namers have ever met, we're all friends and we probably know as much about each other as our friends do! Everyone in the community is just so sweet and lovely and I've loved getting to know and chat to everyone. The baby namers are honestly the best community online!

Me: No it's not cheesy! I agree with you! What has been your favorite list and/or formspring question (rename, collages, etc.)  you have done?
Orlaith: I LOVE renaming questions! I once sent out a picture of me as a baby to see what people would rename me and the responses were really cool. It was kind of weird at the same time because I actually started to picture myself with some of the names! I really like making names from initials too, that's always fun. (:

Me: I love those questions. Are you working on any listography or formspring spams/questions?
Orlaith: I'm not at the moment, but I'm thinking of sending some nursery or renaming spam if people are interested. It would be my first time spamming so I'm quite excited about it. (:

Me: I would love that spam. What do you love about baby names?
Orlaith: I love hearing what kind of names are popular in different countries, it's crazy how different they can be! Like here in Ireland I have never met any Madison's, Sophia's, Jayden's, Mason's etc. but yet they are so popular in the US. I love learning about the history of names too, like how a lot of names that everyone assosiates with girl's were actually originally boy's names. I was shocked to hear Lindsey was used for boys!

Me: It's so cool that we can here names from other countries that are so popular but we have never heard of. Just think what it would be like if we didn't have formspring! What types of baby names to do like (ex. Trendy, vintage, etc.)?
Orlaith: I don't know what I'd do without Formspring :o To be honest I don't really have a certain style of names that I like, I'm pretty much open to anything! My least favourite would probably be very trendy names or "youneek" spellings though. I just don't think they age very well. Recently I've been really liking "old lady" names quite a lot, like Pearl, Cecelia, Diana and Mae.

Me: me either! I am the same way. When did you tell your friends and family about your love to baby names?
Orlaith: I didn't really have to tell my family, they kind of figured it out themselves! I guess my constant talking about it and questioning them must have given it away! With my friends, I told them right away. At first I think they thought I was a little weird but they're totally used to it now and we can talk about names together which is awesome. 

Me: hah probably ;P That's great! How did/do your family and friends react to your love for baby names?
Orlaith: It took them a little while to get used to it but now they associate me with names! My friends actually come to me when they need something named, lol. I've named dogs, phones, you name it! I guess I named my friend's dog and then word spread around that I was good at naming things so people started asking me all the time!

Me: Haha you’re like the namer of the group On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your love/addiction/obsession for baby names?
Orlaith: Exactly, lol! Oh definitely a 10! I could honestly sit and discuss baby names all day with someone without getting bored. I'm constantly online looking up new baby names, or playing baby name games. If one of my parent's friends ever have a baby they know to tell me the baby's name right away because they know I'll be interested. I always get so excited when celebrities are pregnant too and I try to guess what they'll name the baby. I'm completely obsessed!

Me: I am the same way. I think about baby names all the time. What is the reason behind your formspring name?
Orlaith: Well I'm not the most creative person, especially when it comes to usernames so mine is quite simple. I chose orlaithsnames because my formspring is a place where people can learn more about me and my favourite names. Sorry it's not a more interesting story, lol!

Me: Mine isn't interesting either. Do you have a favorite baby namer (YouTube, blog, formspringer, etc.)?
Orlaith: I really love Stephanie (AnastasiaRuby) because her YouTube helped me find out about the whole community. I really like watching Kristen (krisscouture) on YouTube too because she's absolutely hilarious, especially her "Worst Names of 2011" videos. I really love everyone on Formspring too, they're all lovely.

Me: I found the community through Stephanie too! I love Kristen too. Do you have a #1 fan on your listography/formspirng or someone who you talk to a lot because of them?
Orlaith: I talk to Katy (AviaMelodyNames) on Formspring all the time. She's Irish too so it's cool to talk to her. Hope (HopeMichaela) and Jenna (JenleeDrew) are awesome too.

Me: They're all awesome. What inspired you to make a formspring/listography besides baby names?
Orlaith: This might sound kind of dorky, but I actually love making lists, lol. When I first made a listography I had a bunch of different lists about movies, music and a bucket list. Also I just love social networking sites, I'm a member of everything! So if I hear about a new site, chances are I'll join. I love being able to make new friends and talk to lots of different kinds of people.

Me: haha I love making list too. We are down to our last 5 questions! Where do you find your baby names at?
Orlaith: I hear a lot of names in movies and books. My favourite baby name book is "The Baby Name Bible" and it's really amazing. It's absolutely HUGE and has tons of cool names and name lists in it. My favourite name website is nameberry.com. They have so many name lists on the site and awesome baby name games in their forums. I really love using nymbler.com too. You type in your favourite names and it generates tons of names you might like.

Me: A lot of people find their names in books. I love The Baby Name Bible and nameberry and Nymbler. Do you know anyone in real life that has a formspring/youtube/blog?
Orlaith: No, most of my friends just have Facebook. I don't mind though, everyone on Formspring have become friends so it's fine. (:

Me: Me too. Random fact about you?
Orlaith: Hmm.. Well other than baby names my hobbies are singing, dancing and drama. When I was younger I always wanted to be an actress, and secretly I still do (:


Me: haha I can just see your name coming across the credits in a movie. What did you think of this interview?
Orlaith: Haha, thanks.. Hopefully one day! *Fingers crossed* It was so much fun! I've loved talking to you!

Me: I had fun too. It was great talking to you. So far you are person farthest away from me that I have interview. Is there anything else you would like to add?
Orlaith: Whooo that's awesome! :D Thank you so much for choosing me this week it's been great! And if anyone that read's your blog doesn't have a Formspring they totally need to join (: Lol, hopefully we'll have some new community members. (:

Me: Yeah I agree! Joining Formspring is something I am thankful for. Thanks again for doing the interview.



So that is the interview. I hope you liked it and don’t forget to comment. I had so much fun doing this interview and I hope you all enjoyed reading it. Thanks again for doing the video Orlaith. Bye for now :). 

 Photo Credit: http://www.formspring.me/orlaithsnames

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...